The Bombay High Court on Thursday dismissed Bollywood actor Sonu Sood’s plea for interim relief against Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC)’s demolition notice.
The BMC issued a notice to the actor in October for illegally converting his six-storey residential building into a hotel. The actor had earlier provided this space to frontline medical personnel for staying in isolation.
A single bench of Justice Prithviraj Chauhan dismissed the petition. His plea was earlier rejected by a civil court in the city.
Sood in his petition said the charges pressed against him by the BMC are not true and added that he is not a part of any illegal activity. The actor also said the construction was done after getting clearance from Maharashtra Regional and Town Planning Act.
Senior official of BMC Anil Sakhare however said the actor was a ‘serial offender’ and wished to ‘enjoy the commercial proceeds of unauthorised work and therefore once again started re-constructing the demolished portion in order to make it operational.’
Sakhare also added that neither Sonu Sood nor his wife have ownership documents of the building.