Due to a shortage of vaccines, Maharashtra’s government suspended the COVID-19 vaccination drive for people aged 18 to 44 on Tuesday. The government has agreed to prioritise the second dose of the 45+ age group with the remaining vaccine stock, according to State Health Minister Rajesh Tope.
However, the minister stated that the change is only temporary.
“Due to a shortage of vaccines, we’re considering postponing the vaccination drive for the 18-44 age group for the time being. There are 2.75 lakh vaccine doses remaining for this age group, which will now be used for people aged 45 and up. The minister said that “administering the second dose is a top priority.”
Patients with mucormycosis, or black fungus disease, will now be handled free of charge in the state under the Mahatma Jyotiba Phule Jan Arogya Yojana, he said.
“Over 2,000 cases have been reported and 8 people have died due to this infection in the state so far. We are making special wards for these patients,” Tope informed.
He also mentioned that a decision on whether or not to extend the state’s lockout would be made at tomorrow’s Cabinet meeting.
Maharashtra has been under lockdown-like restrictions since the beginning of April, and they are set to end on May 14 unless they are extended further.