1. Centre gears up for Bharat Bandh: The Union ministry of home affairs has sent an advisory to all states and Union Territories over today’s Bharat Bandh call issued by farmers. In the advisory, the MHA has asked all states and UTs to ensure law and order is maintained and destruction of public property is prevented while maintaining Covid-19 protocols.
2. Emergency services ‘won’t be hampered’: Farmer leaders have said emergency services will be allowed during the Bharat Bandh on December 8 and appealed to their affiliates to not force anyone to observe the shut down against the three recently enacted farm laws.
3. BJP worker dies in clash with cops in WB: SeniorBengal BJP worker Ulen Roy has died in a clash between party members and West Bengal Police in Siliguri. The BJP has called for a 12-hour bandh in North Bengal over the death of its worker. The party workers were protesting against the state government.
4. Modi calls Macron: PM Narendra Modi dialled French President Emmanuel Macron on Monday and expressed his condolences over the recent terror attacks in France and extended support in battling terrorism and extremism. The duo also discussed bilateral, regional and global issues of mutual interest.
5. Jet Airways set to hit the skies: Jet Airways, the full-service airline which went bankrupt last year, could be back in the skies in 2021. Its new promoters plan to start domestic and international flights with all the slots that were available to the airline before it stopped operations.
6. Brazil to offer free vaccine: Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro has said Brazil’s government will offer Covid-19 vaccines to all citizens free of charge once health regulator Anvisa gives it scientific and legal approval. Brazil has the world’s third highest coronavirus cases.
7. US approves Taiwan arms sale: In an attempt to boost Taiwan’s defences, the Trump administration has approved a new major arms sale to the country. The move is sure to draw a firm rebuke from China, which regards Taiwan as a renegade province.
8. UK begins vaccine rollout: The UK has become the first country in the world to administer the new Covid-19 vaccine developed jointly by American drugmaker Pfizer and Germany’s BioNTech.Those vaccinated will be issued with a “vaccination passport” containing details like date of vaccination and date of the first inoculation to remind people when to receive the second jab.
9. PM to flag Bangalore-Chennai work: Prime Minister Narendra Modi is expected to flag off work on the much-awaited 263km-long Bengaluru-Chennai Expressway, a greenfield project that seeks to reduce travel time between the two major south Indian cities. The estimated cost of the expressway project is around Rs 17,000 crore and it is scheduled for completion in about two-and-a-half years.
10. K’taka schools suspend online classes: The Karnataka Unaided School Management Association has announced tone-day suspension of online classes today in support of the farmer protests in Delhi. According to officials, over 3,000 schools have agreed for the same.