Donald Trump’s blog site, designed to give the disgraced former U.S. president an online outlet after he was banned from Twitter, Facebook and other services, has been permanently shuttered about a month after its launch.
Trump aide Jason Miller on June 2 said that the page, which had been called “From the Desk of Donald J. Trump,” would not be returning.
“It was just auxiliary to the broader efforts we have and are working on,” Miller said.
He declined to provide additional details about those efforts.
“Hoping to have more information on the broader efforts soon, but I do not have a precise awareness of timing,” Miller said.
But asked online later on June 2 whether the move was a “precursor” to the former president joining “another social media platform,” Miller replied: “Yes, actually, it is. Stay tuned!”
Earlier, Trump had lashed out at social media platforrms after Facebook’s independent Oversight Board upheld the social media giant’s suspension of Trump’s Facebook and Instagram accounts over his role in inciting the deadly Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol.
“What Facebook, Twitter, and Google have done is a total disgrace and an embarrassment to our Country,” Trump wrote.
“Free Speech has been taken away from the President of the United States because the Radical Left Lunatics are afraid of the truth, but the truth will come out anyway, bigger and stronger than ever before.” Trump also issued a vague threat that “corrupt social media companies must pay a political price” and he alleged that they somehow worked to “destroy and decimate” the American electoral process.
Trump and his allies have long accused social media giants of being tainted by political bias and prone to censoring conservatives.