1. Farmers call for Bharat Bandh: Farmers protesting the three contentious farm laws have called for a nationwide strike or Bharat Bandh on December 8, where they said they will block all toll plazas and roads leading to Delhi. With this, they have hardened their stance ahead of the fifth round of talks with the Centre scheduled for Saturday.
2. TMC to protest in Kolkata: Coming out in support of the protesting farmers, the Trinamul Congress has announced it would conduct a sit-in demonstration in Kolkata from December 8 to December 10. Bengal chief minister Mamata Banerjee will also join the sit-in protest on the final day.
3. PM assures quick rollout of vaccines: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday said the wait for a Covid-19 vaccine will not be long and it may be ready in the few weeks. He added health care workers involved in treating Covid-19 patients, frontline workers, including police personnel and municipal staff, and old people suffering from serious conditions would be inoculated on priority.
4. Army chief to visit Saudi: Indian Army Chief General MM Naravane is set to make a four-day visit to Saudi Arabia and the UAE starting December 6, signalling India’s intention to boost security cooperation. This is his third foreign trip this year with diplomatic overtones.
5. TRS triumphs GHMC polls: The ruling TRS in Telangana has emerged as the single largest party in the 150-ward Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) election by winning 55 wards. The BJP bagged 48 wards and the AIMIM secured 44.
6. Cyclone Burevi weakens: As cyclone Burevi weakened in Kerala, the India Meteorological Department has withdrawn a red alert it issued in seven districts. However, heavy rains continued to batter Tamil Nadu, leading to waterlogging in many rural and urban areas.
7. China creating super soldiers: US: The US intelligence has revealed China has conducted human testing on members of its army to develop soldiers with biologically enhanced abilities. John Ratcliffe, who has served as Donald Trump’s director of national intelligence since May, made the claims, warning China poses the greatest threat to America today.
8. ED seizes Mallya asset: The Enforcement Directorate has attached a property in France of fugitive businessman Vijay Mallya worth Rs 14cr under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act. In April, the UK High Court had dismissed Mallya’s appeal against extradition to India.
9. Karnataka bandh: Pro-Kannada outfits are all set to observe Karnataka bandh on Saturday, despite chief minister BS Yediyurappa’s strict warning against forceful closure of business activities in the state. The bandh has been called against the state government’s decision to form the Maratha Development Corporation in Karnataka.
10. Curfew in Shivamogga: A curfew has been imposed in three police stations in Shivamogga following a communal clash on Thursday to prevent any further untoward incident. 62 people have been arrested and 10 cases registered in connection with the incident.