1. Farmers call for ‘rail roko’: Farmers’ organisations have unanimously taken a decision to intensify their agitation against the three contentious farm legislations by resuming their rail blockade but this time throughout the country. Farmer leader Boota Singh said the Centre was given an ultimatum till December 10 and added the Sanyukt Kisan Manch will decide on a date for “rail roko” soon.
2. Farmers seek release of riot accused: The protesting farmers have diversified their agenda by demanding the release of Delhi riot accused Umar Khalid and several others. Jhanda Singh Jethuke, senior vice-president of the Baratiya Kisan Union, said: “We will celebrate International Human Rights Day at Baba Banda Singh Nagar, near Tikri border, to raise our voices for the release of intellectuals and human rights activists.”
3. New parliament for new India: Prime Minister Narendra Modi has laid the foundation stone for a new parliament. Describing the event as a milestone in India’s democratic history, he asserted the building will become the symbol of a 21st century nation and Aatmanirbhar Bharat.
4. Nadda convoy stoned in WB: BJP national president JP Nadda’s convoy was pelted with stones allegedly by Trinamul Congress supporters in Bengal on Thursday afternoon. Senior BJP leaders Kailash Vijayvargiya and Mukul Roy along with eight other party workers were injured in the attack.
5. Call to include Sonia biography in schools: Congress spokesperson Sravan Dasoju has urged chief minister K Chandrashekhar Rao to include Congress president Sonia Gandhi’s biography in Telangana’s school syllabus, saying she had been instrumental in the formation of the state.
6. Russia on LAC standoff: Russian foreign minister Sergey Lavrov has accused the US and others of attempting to engage India in “anti-China games” in order to reinstate the unipolar world order, thereby undermining Russia’s ties with India.
7. China asks flight crew to wear diapers: China’s aviation regulator has recommended cabin crew on charter flights to high-risk Covid-19 destinations to wear disposable diapers and avoid using the bathroom to reduce the risk of infection. The advice came in a 38-page list of guidelines for airlines to prevent the spread of coronavirus.
8. Lebanon’s caretaker PM charged: Lebanon’s caretaker Prime Minister Hassan Diab and at least three ex-ministers have been indicted by a court on charges of negligence in relation to the deadly explosion at a Beirut port that killed more than 200. However, the PM said he had been transparent and his “hands are clean”.
9. Walmart ‘Make in India’ push: Walmart has announced it will triple its commitment to India by sourcing $10bn worth of goods from the country annually by 2027 to support its “Make in India” initiative. Highlighting India’s potential, the giant company announced its decision to boost micro, small and medium-sized enterprises in the country.
10. WFH may continue: K’taka: The Karnataka government has said it will not ask IT companies to open office spaces and that the work from home arrangement that is currently in place may continue for a few more months due to the prevailing covid-19 situation.