In an attempt to “intensify” the farmers’ protest, thousands of farmers hailing from Ferozepur, Fazilka, Abohar, Faridkot and Moga have left for New Delhi to protest against the agri laws passed by the Narendra Modi government in September.
A convoy of 1,200 tractors carrying ration that can last up to six months has also left for the national capital.
Speaking to Zee News, Satnam Singh Pannu, the head of the Mazdoor Sangharsh Committee, said: “(The) Modi government should decide how to kill us as we will not leave our land under any circumstances.”
Tens of thousands of farmers have already been camping against the farm laws on Delhi borders since November 27 as they feel these laws would pave the way for the dismantling of the minimum support price (MSP) system, leaving them at the mercy of big corporate entities.
Union minister Piyush Goyal asked them to return to the table for talks and also advised them not to allow Leftist-Maoist elements to influence their decision. He had earlier alleged certain Leftist and Maoist elements have taken “control” of the agitation and rather than holding discussions on farmer issues, they seem to be having some other agenda.
Union agriculture minister Narendra Singh Tomar urged the leaders of the farmers’ unions to continue the dialogue and find an amicable solution to the issues related to the new farm legislations.
Earlier this week, the protesters unanimously rejected the Centre’s written offer of amendments in farm laws and announced a series of plans to escalate their protest. They even stated there will be a full-scale protest across the country by December 14.
There have been a dozen deaths at these protest sites due to cold and heart-attacks but farmers said they were built of sterner stuff and prepared to sit-in through the winter.