1. Nod for mRNA vaccine: A Covid-19 vaccine being developed by the Pune-based Gennova has become India’s first homemade mRNA candidate to get permission for human clinical trials. The mRNA vaccines are considered safe as they are “non-infectious, non-integrating in nature and degraded by standard cellular mechanisms”.
2. Farmers’ protest ‘hijacked’: Food and consumer affairs minister Piyush Goyal, who is negotiating with the protesting farmers, has said “ultra-left and Maoist elements have hijacked the agitation” and their demands, like asking for release of jailed Maoists, go beyond the farm laws.
3. India, Uzbekistan ink 9 pacts: India and Uzbekistan have signed nine agreements to further broadbase cooperation in an array of areas even as they vowed to combat the threat of terrorism by “destroying” terrorist safe-havens, networks and funding channels. The agreements were signed at a virtual summit between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Uzbek President Shavkat Mirziyoyev.
4. UP to reward ‘lucky’ farmers: Amid the ongoing farmers’ protest, the Uttar Pradesh government is gearing up to soon distribute tractors to 69 “lucky” farmers in a bid to cultivate goodwill with the community in the state.
5. Maharashtra to launch app for handicapped: Maharashtra has developed a digital platform where people with disabilities can register for their needs. Named after NCP leader Sharad Pawar, the app will be launched on Saturday.
6. BMC to vaccinate health workers: Around 2,500 civic body officers split into 500 teams of five each will take up the task of vaccinating 1.25 lakh health care workers in Mumbai early next year. Additional municipal commissioner Suresh Kakani said if enough doses are made available, it will administer the first of the two vaccine shots in a span of 15 to 20 days
7. Blow for Trump: The US Supreme Court has brushed aside a lawsuit filed by Texas that sought to overturn President-elect Joe Biden’s election victory in four battleground states. The move dashed incumbent Donald Trump’s last-ditch hope of justices effectively handing him a second term.
8. US to sanction Turkey: The US plans to impose sanctions on Turkey over its purchase of S-400 missiles from Russia in 2017. The sanctions would be imposed under the Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act.
9. K’taka on farm bills: The Karnataka government will organise farmers’ awareness programmes across the state to create awareness on various farm bills passed by the state and the Centre.The programmes will be organised in four different regions and chief minister BS Yediyurappa will launch the event in Bengaluru.
10. K’taka transport strike: Employees of transport corporations in Karnataka on Friday went on a strike demanding they be considered as government employees. Services if all bus corporations were affected because of the strike.