Five Indian players, including vice-captain Rohit Sharma, have been placed in isolation as a precaution after a video of the group dining out in Melbourne appeared on social media, causing a stir over a possible breach of coronavirus protocols.
The Board of Control for Cricket in India and Cricket Australia said that they were investigating the matter to determine whether the trip was indeed a breach of the protocols in place.
The players – Rohit Sharma, Rishabh Pant, Shubman Gill, Prithvi Shaw and Navdeep Saini – have been separated from the Indian and Australian squads.
However, they will continue to train “in accordance with the strict protocols that have been put in place to ensure the ongoing safety of all members of the Indian and Australian squads,” CA said in a statement.
On Friday, a fan named Navaldeep Singh tweeted pictures and videos of cricketers having a meal at a restaurant. The fan, who said that he was seated close to the players at the restaurant and paid their bill, later apologised for creating confusion by claiming that he had been hugged by Pant after he paid for the players’ meal.
As per protocols, players are allowed to eat out provided they take necessary precautions.
According to the reports in Australian media on Saturday, the players were at Secret Kitchen, a noodles and BBQ restaurant at Chadstone Shopping Centre. Staff at the restaurant confirmed to The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age the cricketers in question dined inside on New Year’s Day, Friday.