A Russian woman was electrocuted to death after her charging IPhone fell into the water while she was taking a bath.
Twenty-four-year-old Olesya Semenova was found dead by her flatmate in the Russian city of Arkhangelsk.
The flatmate said: “’I screamed, shook her but she was pale, did not breathe and showed no signs of life. I was really scared. When I touched her, I got an electric shock. There was a smartphone in the water, it was charging.’
Paramedics confirmed Semenova, who worked in a clothes shop, died in the bath and that her iPhone 8 had fallen into the water when plugged into the mains.
Following the incident, the Russian emergencies ministry has issued a warning for such fatalities.
It said: “The tragedy once again reminds us that water and an electrical appliance connected to the mains are incompatible. The same applies to any mobile device. If you drown a smartphone, the worst thing is its failure. But when it is connected to the network, we see what the consequences are.”
However, this isn’t the first such incident. In August, a 15-year-old schoolgirl named Anna K died in Moscow after sustaining an electric shock in her bath.
In 2019, Liliya Novikova, an internationally recognised poker star, was electrocuted in her bathroom.