At least seven persons died in the past three days in Bharatpur district in Rajasthan while several others are undergoing treatment in hospital after consuming spurious liquor.
According to sources, four persons died of methyl alcohol poisoning in the past two days while three more persons passed away by the early hours of Thursday.
A few people in Chak Samri village in Roopwas near the UP border started vomiting and lost their eyesight which led to the deaths. Thereafter, it has come to light that 18 people had consumed illegally brewed spurious liquor. So far, seven deaths have taken place while two people are critical.
Officials said that a few of the patients have also been referred to Jaipur.
SP, Bharatpur, Devendra Kumar Bishnoi said that five people have been arrested so far.
“Three cases have been registered and five people have been arrested under the Excise Act for brewing illegal liquor and hooch. Some of those arrested also have past cases in relation of selling illegal liquor,” said Bishnoi.
Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot expressed grief over the incident. The state government also announced Rs 2 lakh assistance to each of the families of the deceased while the other victims will get a financial assistance of Rs 50,000 each.
A government release said the Chief Minister has directed the divisional commissioner, Bharatpur to investigate the reasons and other factors which led to the tragedy.
Several officials from the police and excise departments were suspended by the government at the aftermath of the incident. While the entire staff of the excise enforcement station in Roopwas has been suspended, the SDM Roopwas was kept on awaiting posting orders after the incident.