1. Trump awards Modi: The US President Donald Trump presented the prestigious Legion of Merit to Prime Minister Narendra Modi for his leadership in elevating strategic partnership of the two countries and emergence of India as a global power.
2. PM at AMU event: Prime Minister Narendra Modi told a gathering of Aligarh Muslim University Tuesday that “the country is progressing on a path where none can be left behind because of religion, where all get equal opportunity to move ahead, and fulfil their dreams”.
3. India becomes the 6th nation: India has become the 6th country in the world to join the club of countries producing high horsepower locomotives indigenously with powerful e-locos being manufactured within the nation.
4. Farmers harden their stance: The group of 40 protesting farmers’ unions, which held a discussion about the Centre’s offer on Tuesday, have reiterated their demand of repeal of the three laws.
5. Farmers to British MPs: Farmers protesting the centre’s contentious agriculture laws say they will write to British political leaders and ask them to stop UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson – who will be the chief guest at next month’s Republic Day celebrations – from traveling to India till their demands are met.
6. NASA posts picture of conjunction: The official Twitter account for NASA Moon shared the image showing the great conjunction of Saturn and Jupiter. The rare celestial phenomenon will occur again in 2080.
7. Pakistan issues visas to Indians: Pakistan has issued visas to more than 90 Indians to visit two prominent Hindu temples in December in an attempt to “facilitate their visit to religious shrines”.
8. Switzerland starts vaccine rollout: Switzerland has received an initial batch of 107,000 Covid-19 vaccines, with first jabs to be administered from today. The move comes after the country imposed a month-long clampdown on public life in an attempt to curb the rising infection rates.
9. K’taka local polls: Polling has begun in the first phase of the two-phased Karnataka local body elections in 3,019 gram panchayats on Tuesday.
10. UK passengers in K’taka: At least 138 air passengers arriving from the UK, where a new variant of the virus was reported a fortnight ago, have entered Karnataka after flying in without Covid-19 negative certificates or being subjected to tests on arrival.