A middle-aged man, who had volunteered for Phase-III human trials of Covaxin in Bhopal on December 12, had passed away on December 21. However, it has come to light only on Friday.
The volunteer, Deeapak Marawi (45), was a labourer.
His son Akash said his health suddenly weakened on December 19 and he passed away two days later. He did not go to a doctor as he thought that it was normal fever, Akash said.
“It had come to our notice that a volunteer, Deepak Marawi, died,” said the Dean of People’s Medical College Dr Anil Dixit.
However, the death was due to other reasons and not a severe adverse effect (to the vaccine),” he said.
He was administered the first dose on December 12. It’s not known if it was a vaccine or placebo.
The autopsy concluded that poisoning is the suspected cause of death.
His viscera has been preserved for examination.