Tennis star Naomi Osaka has withdrawn from Wimbledon, for personal reasons her agent confirmed on June 17.
“Naomi won’t be playing Wimbledon this year,” Osaka’s agent Stuart Duguid said. “She is taking some personal time with friends and family. She will be ready for the Olympics and is excited to play in front of her home fans.”
Wimbledon organisers, the All England Lawn Tennis Club (AELTC), said Osaka would be “greatly missed” at the Grand Slam this year.
“We completely understand her decision,” the AELTC said. “We wish her a happy time with her friends and family and look forward to welcoming her back to Wimbledon next year.”
Osaka quit the French Open last month following her first-round victory after organisers fined her $15,000 and threatened her with expulsion from the tournament when she refused to attend mandatory post-match press conferences.
The 23-year-old, explained that the media’s line of questioning after matches impacted her mental well-being.
Osaka is one of the most exciting talents to emerge in women’s tennis in recent years, and had already won four Grand Slam titles — the 2018 and 2020 US Opens and the 2019 and 2021 Australian Opens.